Saturday, October 15, 2011

Riding on the TGV

*preface* I wrote this post a couple of weeks ago, whilst on the TGV. Yes, I am that slow in posting. Bear with me, please.

ACTUAL POST

This was supposed to be a post about coming back to Versailles and visiting Paris.

Instead, I’m going to tell you how much I love the TGV.


I mean, really. It’s amazing. I came over to France two weeks ago on a cramped and uncomfortable plane. Tiny seat, tiny window, terrible food, recycled air. We all know how it works.

Well, the TGV is a different story entirely. I needed to take a train to get to Paris so I could visit my study abroad family, who had kindly invited me to stay with them. I ended up with a ticket for the TGV, the first benefit of which is that I get from Grenoble to Paris in 3 hours flat, with no stops – what should take about 8 hours by car.

Then I get on the train. I am happily surprised by how big the seats are. Plenty of legroom, even enough so that I can recline if I am so inclined. (ha!). Not only that, but for these trips at least, the trains have been at most half occupancy. Which means two seats for the price of one and extra room for my stuff instead of cramming it under my feet. Add in the fact that you can bring your own food and drink and you don’t have to be there 2 hours ahead to go through security, and TGV has won my loyalty. Shoot, they even have bigger bathrooms that don’t leave me feeling dirtier after I leave. It’s a winning situation. Plus the views are amazing, and it is so quiet.

Well, it became even more of a win today. Due to what can only be known as a freak coincidence, the 1st class tickets back from Paris to Grenoble were actually 2€ cheaper than the second class ones. So what did I do?

That’s right. I bought the first class ticket, which is where I am sitting right now as I write this. Even better. Humongous seats comfortable enough to sleep in, sprawl out in, curl up in, whatever. Bigger windows with better views. An electric outlet so I can charge my computer as I go. And a bathroom that weirdly, has a zen garden-style background. No, I don’t know what the deal is with that.

All of that to say, first class is also a steal.

And the moral of this story? Ride the TGV. It’s cheap, comfortable, you can bring your own food, and the views are nothing to sneeze at. It is so relaxing compared to airline travel.

No comments:

Post a Comment